Sunday, August 21, 2011

Grand Teton Relay - Runnin' From The 80's!!

Over this past weekend, August 19 - 20, we ran in a team for a relay road race!  Creating and keeping a team of 12 was pretty difficult at times, but thanks to some friends of friends and cousins of friends we were able to put together a GREAT team!  Note, for all 12 of us, this was our very first relay - we had no idea what we were really getting into!  Running experienced varied from beginning (never completed a 5k) to our half and full marathon runners!  I'm definitely no marathon runner.  This past summer I've only just completed my first ever 5K and 10K and after this learned I'm a moderate runner!  Always good information to know!  

I was under the impression that the race we ran, the Grand Teton Relay, has only been run a few times.  However, we learned half way through the race it was actually the first time these individuals have put on this relay!  It was a great experience and very well put together! 

Out team name was "Runnin' From The 80's" since most of us were born in the 80's or at least lived in the 80's.  It was a fun team name that allowed everyone (mostly the girls...our husbands were patient enough to put on the attire for pictures) to dress up and have fun!

*Addition note*  Under some of the pictures are my running lengths, times, and the level of difficulty (easy/moderate/hard/very hard based on the GT Relay's Website)


This is vehicle 1 of 2.  The second vehicle wasn't checking in for a few more hours, so their pictures will be posted later in part two, if I get some pictures from teammates!

 
Kate, Wendy, Me, Meagan and her husband Bill, and Sara - a very fun team!



Just playing around till our first runner started!!

Wendy and I in the car



My first run, Leg 1 - 3.8 miles, 37 minutes, hard (elevation gain 376 feet)
This was a non-support leg, which meant my vehicle couldn't stay with me but instead just met me up at the next transition point.

Heading up the hill past the Lower Mesa Falls and Upper Mesa Falls
I'd love to see have actually had time to go in and see the falls


 It's a great feeling when that spec in the distance becomes a recognizable teammate!  Even better for me knowing my run was almost over as I handed the baton (slap bracelet) off to another teammate!

The gap in front of me was too big so I never did see or pass anyone, aka a Road Kill, but luckily the girl behind me slowly got further and further away because she was right on me when we started!


 After our 1st legs were done (round one of 3) we headed back to Ashton to eat lunch and take a nap.  Not much sleeping happened, but it was great to cool down for a bit!


The amazing portable changing tent Meagan and Bill brought!  This allowed us to get changed anywhere!  No matter how dirty we felt, putting on clean clothes made a huge difference!
 
Waiting for Van 2 to arrive so we could run our second leg!  Once the sun went down our camera went missing in the car and sadly very few pictures were taken. 

My second leg was a leg called "Rails To Trails" and would have been amazing to see in the day time!  I was running it a little after midnight, so it was more spooky than enjoyable!  It's a trail that was originally railroad tracks but were ripped up and instead changed to gravel, dirt, and a few bridges.  It's on my list of place to run or bike one of these summers.  I'm sure it would be beautiful!   
I'm not going to lie though, it was quite scary!  Running alone, again never seeing anyone in front of me and only towards the end of my run was there anyone behind me!  It too was a non-support leg, but this time there wasn't even a road near me if something was to happen!  I ran with a friends droid phone, just in case anything happened (a bear, cougar, coyotes, wolves, killer bats or owls, and all those other scary things that are very unlikely but I was paranoid of, haha) they could track me down!

Leg 2 - 6.3 Miles, 64 minutes, Moderate (67 ft elevation gain on gravel trail)


A night shot of 4 runners shoes!  PS - I love my brooks!!


My warm socks for the night run!  Hey now, don't judge!  It was 38 degrees, I could see my breath, and gave me a reason to wear them!


After our vehicle was done with the night runs, we were able to get about 2 hours of sleep in Tetonia Park before we had to pack up and head up to meet our vehicle at Targee.  After we sent our first runner down, we enjoyed a beautiful sunrise with some wildlife while waiting for the next runner exchange!




My 3rd leg - DONE!  Pass off to Sara, our awesome motivated first time runner!  By this point in the race our 80's attire had basically disappeared but would return in time to cross the finish line!
Leg 3 - 5.2 miles, 48 minutes, Easy (187 feet elevation gain)


We're done...at least with our legs!  We were able to wash up in a public restroom, get changed, take advantage of free foot massages, get fabulous milkshakes, cool down in the shade, then take off to meet our 2nd vehicle for their final legs!!
 The girls from vehicle 1

 Close up shot of our 80's get-up!


 FYI - if ever in Victor, ID go to the emporium across from the park and get the Lime Freeze - it's AMAZING!!

We found our team while one of our crazy strong runners was headed up Teton Pass!  When I say crazy strong...I mean she did an 1100+ ft climb in 2.9 miles and not only RAN the entire thing but was happy and smiling at the end! 
 Team Photos in our 80's garb!  LOVING IT!!


FINALLY - THE FINISH LINE!!
Start Time: Aug 19, 2011 @ 8:30am
Finish Time: Aug 20, 2011 @ 4:30pm (give or take a few)
Nearly an hour and a half earlier than our estimated finish time!  WOO HOO!!
 


WE DID IT!!  184 miles, constant running, less than 3 hours of sleep, eating while driving, minimal stretching, smelly runners, lots of laughter, great memories and pictures, we are at the end!!



 Wendy and I showin' some love to the fabulous medals we earned!!

Final shot of the 80's athletes - what would it have been without the 80's jock and Jane Fonda wanna-be?!

Thanks to the entire team and especially Grand Teton Relay for putting this together!  I may only be a moderate runner, but I'll definitely do this again someday!  Actually...I have another one (only 37 miles) scheduled in about3 weeks, so that should be fun!  But trust me...we will be doing another relay or Ragnar someday in the not too far away future! 

6 comments:

Kelly Spence said...

What fun! Looks like a beautiful run. You all look great in your 80s outfits.

Alisha said...

Completely amazing!!! Love the theme as well!

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Wow you guys are awesome! - especially through the scary parts at night! Love the 80s wear.

Rockin' Rowes said...

Awesome job! I would love to do a relay sometime.

The Hoffmans said...

You are amazing as well as these pictures! That relay looks like so much fun! Good for you guys to spice it up with the 80's, totally awesome! =) The views look so pretty too! Kyle and I are lovin the picture of you and Brytown... that should be framed! =)

Brandi said...

Bethany you look like you had so much fun on that run. You are so awesome and I miss your happy personality. I can tell your girls have the same happy smiles. :)