Monday, December 21, 2009

Real Purpose

****NOTE:  this is a little long but I feel so blessed to be able to write this***Pictures are in the next posting below if you're interested in our Christmas and recent pictures of the girls!!****



Liz Lemon Swindle She Shall Bring Forth A Son


This Christmas, more than any other in my entire life, has been one of the most personally uplifting I ever remember.  We all have a Christmas we remember for whatever reason...for me I've got a few that stand out. 
  
**I remember spending many Christmas's with my immediate family then heading to my grandparents with so many of the aunts and uncles and cousins for dinner and the rest of the day. 

**How could I forget Christmas of 1998?  The year that my mom's side of the family got together and out of 20 people in one house 11 or 12 of us had the stomach flu and were throwing up Christmas eve night and all Christmas day.  Needless to say, that was the most pathetic family picture for many of us :)

**I'll never forget the year my dad invited a friend of his from work over.  He was a homeless gentleman who had such a kind spirit about him.  He was so thankful for dinner and greatly surprised by the gifts.  That was one of the first times I realized how much I was blessed with.  Looking back, the simple presents of long sleeved shirts, a sweatshirt, and gloves were not presents at all.  They truly were gifts.  Those were things given out of love and with thought that helped this man out.  To this day I do not remember his name or even what he specifically looks like.  However, I will never forget the happiness in the room when that man opened the winter clothing before leaving to his "home" that day.

This season has been one I will always remember as well.  Multiple things contribute to this specific Christmas over others.  This is the first Holiday Season we have two children to teach the true meaning of Christmas.  Two beautiful and healthy daughters that listen and may only slightly understand my love of my Savior.  This is a Christmas which so many people surrounding us - family, friends, and strangers alike - are fighting their hardest to keep their heads high, thoughts positive, and survive the economic crisis that engulfs them.  Listening to our bishop speak in the middle of November during Sacrament made me realize what I am truly blessed with - spiritually, emotionally, physically, financially, and many other aspects. 



Our Savior gave us all he had after living a life of love, gratitude, and the ultimate example.  After talking things over and looking at what we were able to do, Bryson and I decided what we thought would be the best gifts for all our family and friends each on a personal level.  Gifts were chosen rather than just a present.  Bryson and I decided what we would spend on each other and limit our gifts to each other to less than we originally planned.  With the extra money we put it towards gift cards off the ward Christmas tree, which we later found out helped provide Christmas to 21 children in our ward.  This also allowed us to pick up additional items and contribute to the many food donation programs and "fill the firetruck" toy drives.  A few boxed items and canned food will hopefully help one of the many thousands of people hurting in this Las Vegas Community.  Those coloring books, crayons, play-doh, and other small items purchased will hopefully contribute to bringing a smile to a child's face this week.

I've learned more than anything - it's truly not WHAT we give, but HOW things are given.  The attitude in which we give is everything.  My life is so blessed I understand it is my obligation to help those around me.  I, like nearly every person who is reading this, have my share of difficulties.  But no matter how rough my day or week has been I am blessed.  I have a wonderful and hard working husband who is currently employed.  We have two beautiful and healthy daughters that are developing typically.  I have a roof over my head, electricity to heat my home and water.  Sometimes we find our cupboards are beginning to go a little bare and that means french toast or pancakes for dinner - but I dont wonder how I'm going to feed my children, rather what they will eat.  Brynn was able to experience opening presents that Santa left under the tree...it saddens me to think of the 2 year olds who will not be doing this much, if at all, because of the hardships their family is going through.


 I couldn't find this picture on the internet, but this is one of my favorite prints.  It is a lighthouse with Christ's hands extended out towards the viewer showing the wounds in his hands.

I know our Savior loves us and is watching out for us.  He has shown us what we need to do and how to live.  He is continually besides each of us helping us as needed, whether or not we recognize his presence is our choice.  He has literally given us "Angels Among Us" through family, friends, and ward members and even strangers we pass by while rushing through the grocery store.  I am far from living how I want to and being the person I hope to some day become, but at least for now, I am slightly beginning to understand.  This time of the year provides us more opportunities and it's easier and dare I say, more widely accepted, to give and help out around us as we can in so many different way.  We are loving our Savior and remembering him when we serve, care for, and truly love those around us. 

I truly hope everyone finds comfort, peace, love, happiness, and is able to stop for even if only for a few minutes and express their love and gratitude for those people around us that we have and all the temporal things we have.

Merry Christmas and Have a Happy New Year!! 

3 comments:

Wii are the Nelsons said...

you're so awesome and uplifting!
What a beautiful picture of the Savior's hands and lighthouse.
I need to remember some past Christmases as well-what a great reflection

Wii are the Nelsons said...

you're so awesome and uplifting!
What a beautiful picture of the Savior's hands and lighthouse.
I need to remember some past Christmases as well-what a great reflection

Holly said...

Thank you for your words and example! You left me a lot of food for thought.