Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Semi-Productive Mommy (aka NESTING possibly?!)

Panic mode has started to set in for me.  Due in 4 weeks, but will be induced in 3 weeks if this little guy doesn't make his appearance prior to that!  



As I write that, I sit in a house that is 90% unpacked not knowing where to start and how much to pack.  I don't want to pack the kitchen or bathrooms until the end, but the girls and I still have time to kill so the last thing I want to do is complete their room or put away anything that we do in our spare time (art and play-doh for the kids and I've recently started sewing again).  I hate to pack Bryson's things too soon because I will be accountable if I pack something that he needs on 1 of his 4 rare days home in a month.  Not to mention it's likely I'll temporarily lose something and not know what it was or where it is (ex: a specific book or paper or address, etc.)  Then I think, "I know - I'll pack all my clothes!" but quickly realize I don't know what I'll fit (if ANYTHING!) once baby boy arrives of my clothing that is typically too big, and after wearing the same maternity clothing for this long I will only grudgingly put them back on rather than pack them.  And with Idaho weather it could be 60 degrees or 100 degrees - who knows!  They are all in trash bags at the moment though to clear out space for maternity clothes, so technically they kind of are packed!  I'm making this a MUCH bigger deal than necessary and worrying about things that don't matter - this I know :)  But I'm a hormonal, indecisive, pregnant female - can anyone expect anything different?!

Now after that little rant - I can proudly say I have produced 9 freezer meals!  Half are for the girls and I here in Idaho once the baby is born and the other half for Bryson while working in WY so he has something other to eat than PB&J sandwiches, frozen pizzas and burritos, and bagged salad.  I managed to get all the shopping in and actually get every necessary ingredient in one single trip!  I've still got two more recipes (total of four 9x13 pans) left to do over the next day or two.  If I get really ambitious - maybe I'll make a dessert to freeze as well!

There is a new jar of lentils sprouting for an extremely healthy and high fiber addition to sandwiches.  An entire crock pot is currently full of homemade refried beans for a quick snack or simple burritos for the girls for lunch.  There is something so very satisfying knowing exactly what goes into my kids meals as well as how little it actually takes to make something good! It just makes me think of the quote, "If you keep good food in your fridge, you will eat good food!"  I may not be able to control what my kids eat later in life, but as the chef of the house it's my responsibility to put good things into them.  I'm no homemaker by nature, but I've realized how easy it is to make my own spaghetti sauce from scratch packed full of veggies (which the family has NO idea are mixed in there - THANK YOU IMMERSION BLENDER!), read the labels of whole wheat bread and find affordable brands that only use ingredients I not only can name but would actually USE if I was making my own bread, and if nothing else try and lessen the amount of preservatives and unknown "junk" I'm putting into myself, husband's and children's bodies. "Those who think they have no time for healthy eating will sooner or later have to find time for illness."

I finished this cute car seat cover, which I can say I'm quite proud of and how much I love it!  It just screams "little boy" without all the bears and balls and blues that I typically see!




This is one of those "simple" projects that I manage to spend way too long on.  This round I can't blame my machine (which worked perfectly!), running out of thread on the bobbins (I had EXACTLY the right amount for the project between two half used bobbins and never ran out once), but rather deciding to sew late at night and despite my attempts to "measure twice - cut once" I managed to make some mistakes.  Luckily though it was all hidden very well, if I might say so.  Just don't take too close of a look in person :)

Finally I've updated the blog - Brynn's 5th birthday, Abby's 3rd birthday, our trip to Durango, other summer activities, and this pregnancy. 

So basically I've managed to keep busy with everything other than packing - the #1 thing I should be doing.  This is like the diet cycle...."I'll start tomorrow" (being said with sincere and real intent) but that tomorrow turns into another tomorrow, which leads to the thought that, "No, I'll just do it over the weekend." which presses into, "My what a busy weekend that was, I'll start packing on Monday."  At this rate I'll be a mom to three kids and expected to move without being near ready.  Guess I should buckle down and start packing....tomorrow...yes...it's already 12:21am, so tomorrow sounds like a perfect time to start packing...

1 comment:

Bonnie and Tyler said...

Awesome! Yay for nesting! Good Luck packing. I am there myself, ugh. Thanks for the tip about Costco for boxes, they gave us a ton!