Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Eggnog...most definitely "Tis The Season"

For so many people (including myself!) this is one of the favorite times of the year! It's a time for gift giving, for family and friends, for remembing those things in life which are truly important, finding amazing deals on items for others and for the household, and for good food.


In our home, EGGNOG is a tradition that is enjoyed by all. This is one treat that we seldom buy because at $2-3 for a quart it quickly adds up.

I've been hestitant to make it from scratch because of the "egg" factor and not wanting to get sick, worrying about undercooked eggs, and really doubting it could taste the same.

But long and behold, at a recipe group a few weeks ago I was given this recipe and it's WONDERFUL! Taste exactly like the store bought eggnogg that has been thinned out a bit. And best thing of all, it's made with ingredients I've already got in my kitchen!

3 large eggs
3 large egg whites
5 ½ cups milk (divided)
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vanilla
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Beat eggs and whites until blended; set aside. In saucepan mix 4 cups milk with sugar, cornstarch and salt. Cook on medium high until it boils and thinkens slightly. Boil 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk 1/2 cup milk mixture into eggs and then pour back into saucepan. Pour all into large bow. Stir in vanilla, nutmeg, and remainind 1½ cups milk. Cover and refridgerate until chilled (6 hours).
Makes 6½ cups

*I've never done it, but I wonder if using whole milk would make this thicker and more like the store bought kind. If anyone tries this, let me know! We never have whole milk which is why I haven't tried yet*


Hope you enjoy this as much as we have! It's a holiday drink Bryson loves and is thrilled that I now can make it for much cheaper than we can purchase! Just another low budget way to bring the holidays into your home!

4 comments:

Allison said...

Sounds interesting! I wonder if you just reduced how much milk it calls for if you would get a thicker consistency! I might give this a try!

The Webber's said...

Yeah, that's going to be my next trial run. It's basically like you're watering down a custard like mixture. So instead of 1.5 cups of milk at the end, even 1 cup may make it thicker. However - I like mine a little thinner anyways :)

Angie said...

Nice! Trent will definitely be excited about this one! Eggnog is for sure overpriced.

The Greg Nelson Family said...

I love homemade eggnog. I think it tastes so much better than the store stuff. Your recipe has more stuff than the one I have. I will have to try it sometime. Glad to see that you are doing well. You have a very cute family!